Monday, December 13, 2010

What I Should Have Said


"Excuse me ma'am, but that child to whom you are referring is the absolute love of my life. My very heart and soul wrapped up in its entirety in that tiny little pigtailed being. A single giggle of hers is worth more to me than a thousand grown-up accolades. My heart aches when she has a runny nose, a nightmare, or a skinned knee. Clearly, you have never known that kind of love. Clearly, you have no idea what it's like to have your heart exist outside your body. Because if you did then you might understand the wrath that results when you make cruel and threatening comments towards the most precious gift I have on this earth. Love anything and your heart will be wrung, possibly broken. I am so sorry that you cannot understand that passion of despair on behalf of another, because without it you cannot understand the passionate love from which it is inseparable."

THAT is what I should have said.


After a 1-hour delay in the airport, and nearing the end of a 2-hour delay stuck in a cramped airplane stuck on the runway, I personally was amazed at how well my sweet barely 28-month old was handling the circumstances. She played happily, never once screaming, crying, or tantrumming. She may not have been using her inside voice the whole time, however, and the lady across the aisle poked me and said, "Can't you keep that kid quiet?"
A little taken aback, I said "I'll try, but she IS two."
The response will probably always remain the rudest thing anyone has ever said to me: "Why don't you just put a plastic bag over her head?"


In the moment, I was absolutely speechless. But THAT is what I should have said.

Next post will address the part of our Florida trip between the airplane rides...

3 comments:

Cassidy said...

that's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!! there is no way my child would have even stayed in the seat for that long, much less not resorted to all out screaming - I hate to think what she would have had to say about that. I think Elle sounds like she was being an angel. ridiculous!!

jimcaserta said...

Would answering, "I can't keep her quiet, but I can keep you quiet," be inappropriate? I also have a look that says pretty much the same thing but without words.

When I took Olivia to NY over the summer, we had a very long delay in the plane leaving NY. She pretty much just ran up and down the aisle. I didn't notice anyone minding, but I wasn't looking for that either.

Someone as obnoxious as that as an adult, imagine what they were like as a toddler.

Nathan, Laurie, Elizabeth & Emily said...

My mouth just dropped to the floor. I can't believe someone would actually suggest that about a child. And don't you hate how now you come up with the perfect response??!!!

I totally agree with you though- she must not have children!!!