Saturday, April 20, 2013

15.5 months

Dearest Elise,
Just so you don't look back on your mom's blog posts and get a big head thinking you were the world's easiest baby, I feel obligated to give an accurate update of the past few months of your life. Apparently I raved about your happy, smiley, contented demeanor one too many times.


At around 13 months, you turned into Grumpy McCrankypants. For no apparent reason. If you weren't sleeping or eating (still your favorite activity), you were fussing. Heaven forbid if I tried to put you down. But even incessantly holding you wasn't enough. It started with a couple of mild-to-moderate illnessess, but even with full physical recovery you remained grumpy. You cried when you woke up in the morning. When I got you dressed. While I made breakfast. When you finished the food. When you finished more food. When I finally decided you couldn't possibly still be hungry. When I dropped you off at school. When I put you in the carseat to take you home from school. While dinner cooked. When dinner was gone (repeat breakfast sequence). When I gave you a bath. When I put you to bed. Various points during the night. I racked my brain for what could be wrong. I did daily physical exams. I gave you Tylenol and Gas-X empirically. I checked a urine sample. I debated bringing you to work with me for a full-body ultrasound (having a doctor mommy is a dangerous thing). I wondered if you had places to go and things to say and were just frustrated that you couldn't walk or talk. I scrutinized your gums to see if there were any impending ruptures. I hugged and held and rocked and soothed and bounced and snuggled and sang and read and held some more.



And after about a month (yes, that long!), it started getting better. You did ultimately get 2 molars, so maybe that was it after all. Now, at 15.5 months, you are back to your happy smiley self. You are sleeping a little later in the mornings, usually waking up around 6:30. You are pretty adamant about having breakfast immediately, pointing to the door and then down the hall and downstairs saying "Dat! Dat! Dat!" But other than your pervasive impatience for food preparation time, you are generally pretty happy. 



You are starting to protest more when your sister takes toys from you, but overall are incredibly tolerant of her abuse companionship.


You love books, singing, and dancing. When we finish reading or singing to you, you nod your head vehemently to let us know you want to hear it again. You have a similarly adamant head shake for "no", primarily in answer to the question "Elise, are you ready for bedtime?". Whenever you hear music of any kind, you dance in the most adorable way.



Your words remain few. Mama and Dada are spotty. Uh-oh and Dat! make up the bulk of your conversation. I think you say bubbles? And maybe Duck. When I ask you what a cow says, you grin and say "Coooowwwww" which sounds like some hybrid of Cow and Moo. It's delightful. You can show me your tummy, your head, your toes, and my nose (not your own, for some reason). The paucity of words is strange to me as your sister was speaking in sentences by 16 months. I realize now that she was a total freak of vocabulary nature. You understand most everything that goes on, however. I think you're just taking it all in. And in our household, that is no small task.



You took a few steps around 15 months, and since then have done a little more walking.... typically under duress. You're a smart cookie, and I think you'd prefer to ride on a sky-high Mommy mobile (sky-high being a completely relative descriptor). Lately you've been walking a little more, and I think you will adopt that as your primary mode of locomotion in a couple weeks. At least by kindergarten.



You love love love food. Of pretty much all types. In massive quantities. You love splashing in the bathtub, scribbling with markers and pens, and playing outside with your sand and water table. You still don't like dogs. Although strangely enough, you adore Boomer the school bunny as if you two were kindred spirits. 



Your hugs are the best. I love nothing more than your sweet chubby arms flung around my neck. I forgive you for totally stressing me out for a little stretch there. But now it's documented so when you are a rebellious teenager and think you're perfect and I'm the belligerent one... remember the roles were once reversed.



I love you, my little E.


1 comment:

Cassidy said...

Sweet girl. Love the picture of her clapping in the white chair. And can't believe how old Elle looks in that picture in the garage!! Our kids are growing too fast!