Thursday, September 5, 2013

Munchkin Lunches

Not sure what it says about me, but one of the things I've always looked forward to about being a mom is packing lunches. There is nothing that melts my heart like my newly-5-year-old carrying her little lunchbox into school. I have to admit, I also like the ability to ensure healthy choices with my title as Maker O' The Lunches. I love everything about our daycare except their penchant for feeding the kids highly processed, sugary, nutritionally void items. I also love the opportunity to include little notes to Elle (and Elise, who probably can't read them yet), and to tuck in special treats on occasion. Elle has gotten a little picky in her old age, and boycotts most vegetables that can be easily transported in lunch form. Oh baby carrot, why does she despise you so? She also doesn't have access to a microwave at school so I can't send leftovers as much as for Elise. Thankfully (though not without a struggle), Elise's daycare allows me to bring in her food. Soon I think I'll have to give this up, because I don't want her to  feel like she's different than the other kids when she's old enough to process that. But for now, she adores her veggie quinoa biscuits, spinach quiche, etc and I shudder at the thought of her devouring a PopTart which will be standard fare when I release her into the wild. 

Usually I'll make a few staples and use those for the week. Favorites are veggie quinoa biscuits, mini-quiche, pumpkin oatmeal muffins 


and pair those with fruit, yogurt, sandwiches, turkey, cheese, crackers, etc. 

Some lunches this week: 
Big E
Peanut butter star sandwich (leftovers from cutting on the side... sometimes I just eat these), peach slices, and yogurt. Pumpkin oatmeal muffin for snack. 

Little E (morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack):

Yogurt with blueberries, Mini-spinach quiche and strawberries, pumpkin oatmeal muffin/goldfish

Big E: 

Turkey roll-ups, edamame, oatmeal muffin, berries
Little E:

Pumpkin oatmeal muffins, quiche with berries, triscuits/cheese/turkey
Big E:

Deconstructed turkey and cheese sandwich, berries, and mango. Oatmeal muffins for snack
Little E: 

Cheerios and blueberries, chili with sauteed zucchini, hummus wrap
Big E: 

Grilled chicken chunks, zucchini, bread, yogurt and berries
When not super pressed for time, I occasionally get creative with breakfast. Elle calls it "Breakfast Art" and frequently makes requests, such as bunny



Or fish



And sometimes I fail. Like my attempt to make a raccoon after E's class read a book about Chester the raccoon on the first day of kindergarten. It was a valiant effort. 


In retrospect, his head should have been more ovoid, and ears a bit bigger? And even though I warned her that she probably wouldn't like him and to eat her "real lunch", Elle informed me that he tasted gross. Naturally, because I "glued" his accessories and facial features on with... hummus. I think I just got disapproving stares from Food Network judges for that fail. 
But there's always tomorrow, and who knows what culinary pursuits lie ahead at the hands of a 5 year old and 20 month old?

4 comments:

thislittlechickpea said...

I LOVE the breakfast art! Even the raccoon which looks better than what I would have come up with! Does everything stay in those lunch containers for travel, or do the individual compartments have separate lids?

Lauren said...

They have individual lids, which are remarkably leak-proof and yet easy for little hands to open. It's the Yubo lunchbox, which we've been really pleased with. A little pricey, but seems like it will hold up for a while- you can change out the face plates with all kinds of cute designs :)

Unknown said...

I found your blog via the Munchkin Meals link up. You have such great ideas! I love the food art, too!
Yuliya

Rosemary Clark said...

Impressive Lauren! Creativity at its best. You might win the most creative healthy meal award!