Monday, January 13, 2014

Welcoming Baby Deacon

I suppose it's poor form (not to mention anticlimactic) to finally post baby shower pictures after your nephew is born... but for the sake of posterity and completeness (goodness knows I'm a sucker for both), here we go...
I was thrilled to celebrate the upcoming arrival of my sister's first baby by throwing her a shower, but perhaps a bit nervous as the concept of male offspring and the color blue are completely foreign to my household. Nonetheless, everything came together nicely and we had a blast honoring Stephanie, Brice, and my soon-to-arrive nephew Deacon. 

Due a week apart. Not planned. Bizarre twin craziness.
I went with a baby bird theme, mainly because I had been looking for an excuse to make baby bird cupcakes and it seemed like the perfect outlet. I'd prefer not to admit how many of my events are centered around my obsession with various confections...


The diaper cake proved to be more challenging than it's edible counterpart. And I had forgotten how tiny newborn diapers are! Made my "baby" Elise seem like a giant. Guess I should get used to the house being inundated with these tiny baby bum-covers.

There was also a wishing tree, with cards for guests to write advice for Mom or wishes for baby. For some reason, everyone found it amusing when I answered the question, "Where did you get the tree?" with an account of walking to the woods behind my house with a pair of sharp scissors and clipping a branch from a tree. Seemed perfectly logical to me...

The only downside was that Elle became emotionally attached to the little tree and refused to let me return it to its home in the wild. She's a sentimental type, that one.
The menu was typical brunch fare, with sausage and egg casserole, spinach quiche, ham and gruyere bites, fruit, etc. Dessert options included a chocolate pound cake, little chocolate peanut butter nests, and the baby bird cupcakes. 



My offspring approved.

Unanimously.

Guests included family, friends we grew up with, college roommates, and even a group of our beloved high school teachers. It was a great group who did a fantastic job of showering the Mom-to-be with love, gifts, and words of motherly wisdom.





Of course, now I can spoil the ending... Baby Deacon arrived a couple weeks early on January 5th back home in sunny Florida! Mom and baby doing great-- and I'm loving the life of a proud Aunt... just need to adjust to the whole testicle thing...

No comments: