Tuesday, September 16, 2014

There's no place like home

Put mildly, Elle has strong opinions. About everything. Unfortunately her strong opinions are often transient, giving way to equally strong but totally opposite opinions. It is for this reason I have historically waited until Halloween Eve or close to it to commit to a costume. Epic meltdowns over Candy Corn Witch attire that was lovingly hand-selected only days before can be a bit exhausting. But for some reason birthday parties are different. She picks a theme and pours her heart and soul into it like a Pintrest Crafting DIY diva of a (gasp) now 6-year old. It doesn't help that her mom is psycho enjoys some party planning herself. I'm not that creative in everyday life, but give me a birthday party to plan, and I become a little obsessed devote a lot of time and effort to the task. Perhaps it is a refuge from my predominantly scientific/analytical day job. Perhaps I crave the look of amazement and joy on my daughter's face when she sees it all come together. Perhaps I just love a good cupcake. 


So Elle wanted a Wizard of Oz party, which was a dream come true for my theme loving planner alter ego. And far more workable than the alternate ideas of Wild Animal Pet Shop Party and Pop Star Frozen Art Show Party. Thankfully, Elle's best friend Grace was on board for a trip down the Yellow Brick Road. Even more thankfully, Gracie's mom (my best buddy) agreed to co-host the party with me. Which was not an insignificant acquiescence, as clearly she knew exactly what she was getting into after last year's Pink Lemonade party, which included painstaking removal of green Veggie Straws to preserve the Pink/Yellow food theme. So it wasn't a given that she'd be game for another bout of my crazy ideas and overbearing, tyrannical, get-easily-carried-away party planning ways. But that's what friends are for, I suppose...


So on to the party. E and G had a blast with the photo shoot for the invitation, and the above shot of them cackling has to be one of my all time favorites. Love these two sweet little girls and their friendship!

We also had some really good sports who showed up in character for the party, and I found some masks for the kids to use as well. 


I had envisioned a photo booth sort of setup with these, but it turned out more of a free-for-all running around trying on the different masks. That was ok. I let it go. 



We started with some Wizard of Oz crafts, then moved on to Pin the Heart on the Tin Man...


And melted a water color wicked witch with water balloons


There was a very transient ceiling fan tornado... but it fell down the weather cleared up before the party ever got started


Party food included Somewhere Over the Rainbow Fruit, Yellow Brick Road Cheese, Scarecrow Stuffing (Pirate's Booty), Glinda's Wandwitches (Star shaped sandwiches on pretzel rods), Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My! (Animal Crackers), Witches Broomsticks (String cheese cut to look like broom on a pretzel stick), and Melted Witch Punch



Ruby red slipper cupcakes, rainbow cupcakes, Wicked Witch cupcakes, and a Devil's Food cake rounded out the dessert options.









Favor baskets included a Wizard of Oz craft kit, rainbow swirl lollipops, a broomstick pen personalized with "Happy Birthday Elle and Gracie!", and Oz stickers



Elle ditched her Dorothy costume early on. I let that go too. We sang. They blew. Cake was eaten.


Presents opened. With teamwork when necessary.





Decor was deconstructed.


And a good time was had by all. 



Happy 6th birthday to my fun-loving, imaginative, sweet, brilliant, dramatic, opinionated Elle-belle!

1 comment:

Cassidy said...

soooo precious. I love everything about this! looks like the party was a hit! :)