Monday, August 23, 2010

Just like home...

Living in DC for a month would have been a lot more fun 2 years, one marriage, and one offspring ago. But since every radiology resident in the country (and internationally) has to do it, I guess (for once) the rules apply to me too. I can't say that I didn't count down the days till I could come home, that I didn't wallow in melodrama seemingly out of proportion to the actual time I had to spend away from E, or that I didn't REALLY appreciate my Stearns-and-Foster upon my return. Grampa and Mimi eased my plight by bringing Elle up for a long weekend and I hit the road for her birthday weekend stopping only when my GPS lady insisted I do so by "suggesting" a rest stop. She's starting to become pretty controlling, but that's another post...
In the end, we survived. And although I feared Elle would face the world every day while I was gone dressed like this:

I think they managed just fine. Dirty Dancing meets Punky Brewster look notwithstanding.

Little did I know upon my arrival just how much I'd miss the comforts of home. Stearns and Foster and superautomatic coffee machine might be asking too much, but I thought lights, air-conditioning, and other electric necessities would be... well... necessary. Unfortunately, this is what I pulled up to after turning onto the street of my DC house. Could have used the heads-up on this one, GPS lady.

Yes that's a power line under that tree. And a car. And part of a house. One might think our nation's capital would be efficient at restoring power to its inhabitants. One would be wrong. 4 days of dark, hot, canned-tuna eating.

But wait, there's more. 2 weeks later a second monstrosity of a storm (tsunami?) hit. 2 of the most destructive storms in DC history both during my stay? Seriously?
The entrance of my friends' apartment where I was seeking solace from the first bout of inclement weather looked like this:

More tree carnage.

And 3 more days without power. Go ahead, pity me.

Finally, Jay and Elle arrived and we attempted some sightseeing.

Attempt# 1.

Attempt #2.

Attempt #3. At least Doggie finally woke up. Look Doggie, Monument!

Well rested, Elle devoted full attention to the MUST-SEE activities for every 2 year old in DC:

Ikea.

The Brrrrrr Room at Costco.
And reading a pirate book to her baby while sitting in a bucket of sorts.

Just. Like. Home.


Slightly more typical trip-to-DC pictures to follow...

No comments: