Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pomp and circumstance

The day started off innocently enough. Well, except for the unprecedented twist of Elle allowing me to suggest an outfit for her that was both seasonally and size appropriate. And (gasp) she let me brush her hair. Ok, ok, there was no disguising it. It was a big day.


And big days demand family pictures before leaving the house.


And sibling love.


And a little Macarena. Or Romberg test if your mommy is a geeky doctor.
Turns out she's not ataxic, just practicing a move for the evening's performance.

Why all the pomp and circumstance?
Because this happened.


My baby graduated from preschool.


It was probably fortuitous that I was highly distracted during the ceremony by Wiggle McWigglyPants who initially agreed to remain still in the presence of cheerios then cackled at my naivete and proceeded to fling the entire bowl 17 rows in front of us. 


I managed not to bawl. I do not promise the same for the first day of kindergarten.


Before the program, there was a slide show with all the kids' pictures and each of them saying what they want to be when they grow up. Fireman, astronaut, singer, police officer, teacher, etc. Not my kid, who apparently wants to be a "princess artist ballerina superhero curtain opener ice-cream-store owner". Noble goals, my little graduate.



After the adorable singing, diploma receiving, and cap-and-gowned processing, there was a huge end-of-year party including food, pony rides, face painting, bounce houses, a petting zoo, and a train ride. 

Elise seemed perfectly happy with the snow-cone-substitute I packed for her. 
Preschool will continue through the summer, and Elle will do after school care at Oak Ridge Weekday School as well. But officially, my baby is a graduate. And whether I'm ready or not (most decidedly not), Kindergarten fast approaches.


I hate to tell you though Elle, but every graduation won't be accompanied by pony rides...


Happy preschool graduation, E! I am so very proud of you.

No comments: