Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Flower Girl for Hire

After her second gig as a flower girl, Elle's agent has opened up her calendar for future bookings. She's cute.  She's charming. She's personable. She gives follows directions. She takes her role pathologically extremely seriously. She's great advertising for the event, proclaiming to every human (and several nonhuman) she encounters that "Aunt Stephanie* is getting married today!"
*Insert name of your client here

Elle's second flower girl debut (recall stellar performance at our niece Mandy's wedding) was at my twin sister Stephanie's wedding; a spectacular event at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota with an absolutely stunning bride and dashingly handsome groom. Elle rode down with Grampa and Mimi in the camper (it's a motor coach, Mommy) early in the week, and Jay and I flew in on Friday for the festivities. After much agonizing internal debate, I decided it would be best to leave Elise home with Aunt Sandy for the weekend. Once I recovered from the heartbreak and monumental mommy guilt from abandoning my 3 month old, I knew it was the right decision. Crowded airports/planes, disrupted schedules, late nights, compromised sleeping arrangements, and stretches of time when it would be socially unacceptable to whip out the milk supply for a baby who Must. Eat. Now. would not have been ideal for any of us. In the end, it worked out perfectly. Even if I did spend my two $300+ Ritz nights sleeping in a Disney Princess sleeping bag on the floor because my 3-year-old wanted to sleep in the bed. That reminds me... her contract includes a Luxury Accommodations rider. Her agent can discuss that with you...




Elle to Jackson the ring bearer: Are you the ring bearer? 
Jackson: Yes.
Elle: I'm the flower girl. That means we dance together at the wedding.

Jackson: I don't know who I'm dancing with yet.
Elle, emphatically: Me. The flower girl. 


Ever since the wedding, we have incessantly been reenacting the Big Day. The major players are sometimes family members, sometimes barbies/ponies/stuffed animals. For unclear reasons, the role of Groom/Brice is ubiquitously played by Pinkie Pie, who does happen to be E's favorite of the ponies. I hope he finds PP to be adequate representation. One morning she bolted out of bed exclaiming, "It's a BIG day! I'm going to marry Adam (a boy in her class)! Today is the practice and tomorrow is the wedding!" More recently she tells us she needs to train Elise to be the flower girl because she is going to be the bridesmaid. I should inform her agent of the promotion...



No comments: