Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Big Debut

Oh, my little performer. 
Ever the drama queen, Elle took the stage for her dance recital earlier this month. She enjoys dancing, but I think the thrill for her is in the performing, more than the actual dance steps. In typical Elle fashion, she took her debut very seriously, and showed me the routines at home with grand flourishing movements and her hilarious (but don't you dare laugh) "performance face". Imagine the expression one might have if doing an impression of a snooty queen, and you've got a reasonable idea of what this entails. An occassional smile, but mostly this self-imposed serious in-character (of sorts) face. 



There are only 3 classes in her dance school-- all younger kids-- so I was warned the recital only lasted about 30 minutes in total, including a short intermission. As it would be classic us to miss the entire thing because of some last minute frivolty necessity that prevented us from getting in the car in any sort of efficient manner, I insisted that we leave 30 minutes ahead of schedule. It worked. Too bad the same can't be said for my weekday mornings...


En route, Elle was fiddling with my iphone. I asked her what she was doing, and she responded matter-of-factly: "I'm trying to invite Siri to my dance recital."
I informed her that Siri was not, in fact, a real person but rather a computer that was part of the phone. Visibly disconcerted, she reluctantly accepted the fact that Siri wouldn't be in the audience that evening. By comparison, I wonder if Santa Claus will be a relatively easier letdown. 


Despite the disappointment that her pal Siri isn't real, E performed magnificently during the show. She even had a little solo, when all the dancers got to come across the stage and do their own little dance for a few seconds. Adorable.


The beginning and end of the ballet routine began with the girls face-down on the floor, hands behind them. This now and forevermore shall be how all dancing begins and ends in Elle's world. Whether jamming to Beastie Boys in the garage or the Chevy commercial in the living room, she always starts and ends on the floor like this. 


I have more pictures than narrative as the dancing ensued. 





Every time the curtain would close after a group of dancers had finished, Elise pointed to the stage as if to say, "Where's Elle?". Then she'd clap and clap when she saw her sister reappear for the next  number. 
Definitely big sis's biggest fan. 




At the conclusion of the recital, all the girls were given little trophies. I thought this seemed a little odd-- they didn't win anything--- and cheesy. But oh, my goodness did Elle think that was the best thing ever. She proudly showed off her trophy to everyone after the show, including the waitresses and random other customers at the post-recital celebratory dinner. She even slept with the thing and came running to me the next morning with it clutched tightly in her hand. Who cares if it was superfluous? She can have a thousand trophies in my book. 



Great job, my little prima donna.

1 comment:

Cassidy said...

precious!! love every picture!